I was recently tasked with coming up with some questions to put to the next search team hire. Below are the 10 SEO, and 10 SEM questions I thought would be interesting to put to a prospective agency hire.
I believe equally as import as the answer themselves, are how well they are explained. I’m considering how well the person can explain complex in layman’s terms, how well they can educate, and get client buy-in on new ideas.
Whether you’re brushing-up for an upcomming job interview, or are looking for some insightful questions to put to your interviewee, hopefully these might be of use to you.
10 SEO Interview Questions
- What do you consider to be the 3 most important SEO factors?
- What role does content play in SEO?
- How would you explain (not provided) keywords to a client?
- What do you consider critical to include in client SEO reports?
- What are the most common technical SEO issues you come across?
- What is semantic markup/structured data?
- Do social factors influence SEO success? How?
- What methods do you employ to build new links?
- Which channels do you get SEO news and updates from?
- What are your must-have SEO tools and what do you use them for?
10 SEM Interview Questions (Adwords focus)
- What are the top 3 factors you consider when auditing an Adwords account?
- How do you suggest organising campaigns and ad groups for a brand new account?
- How would you go about increasing an ad’s average position?
- How would you go about improving an ad’s click-through rate?
- What is quality score?
- How would you go about improving a keyword’s quality score?
- Can you explain the different keyword match types available?
- What is remarketing?
- Why might a client run search, display, and remarketing campaigns simultaneously?
- What do you consider critical to include in client SEM reports?
What interview questions do you think are important for a search team hire?
Let me know in the comments.